A RARE AND FINE PAIR OF ENGLISH GEORGE III PERIOD LIBRARY GLOBES,
By J & W. Cary, London 1800.
Mahogany, brass, steel.
Height 65cm, diameter of globes 32cm
A particularly rare and fine pair of English George III period 12” terrestrial and celestial library globes¸ on the original mahogany reeded frames, with turned vase supports on three shaped pad feet.
With original printed gores and latitude scales, brass travelling meridian plate and brass locks, with original waxed finish to the stands and gilding to brass.Both Globes original and a pair, with the same date of publication (1800). The globes are of Pacific Interest, exhibiting the new published discoveries of Captain Cook. They are an early and extraordinarily untouched pair of library globes, entirely fresh to the market.The terrestrial globe mounted within brass meridian and hand coloured with a cartouche printed ‘
CARY’S NEW TERRESTRIAL GLOBE DELINEATED From the best Authorities extant; Exhibiting the different Tracks of CAPTAIN COOK and the New Discoveries made by him and other circumnavigators. Made and sold by J & W CARY Strand LONDON Jan 1. 1800.
The celestial globe also hand coloured and with a cartouche printed
‘CARY’S NEW CELESTIAL GLOBE ON WHICH are correctly laid down upwards of 3500 Stars Selected from the most accurate observations and calculated for the Year 1800. With the extent of each Constellation precisely defined By Mr Gilpin of the ROYAL SOCIETY.Made and Sold by J & W Cary, Strand London 1800.
It is noted that those are not an original pair and are refinished.
Price inc GST SOLD
Refs: The celebrated Cary family of cartographers and globe makers produced some of the greatest late Georgian globes. The firm was started in London in the late 18th century by John Cary (c1754-1835), an engraver and dealer in maps who often worked in partnership with his brother William Cary (c1760-1825), a scientific instrument maker. John Cary concentrated on geographical excellence rather than on decoration. In about 1820 the Cary brothers moved their business to 86 St. James’s Street, leaving the premises at 181 strand to John Cary’s son George (c1788-1859) and John Jr. (1791-1852) who traded as G. & J. Cary until about 1850.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY