A rare hanging Argand lamp, in gilt bronze and bronze, with original cut glass dish, chains & corona. The font, font ring and rim with gilt bronze anthemion borders. For burning whale or colza oil. UK c 1830.
Newly wired & with handmade repriduction Argand flask shades.
Height 98cm x 65cm dia.
Price inc GST $18,500
Hobart was the capital of the South Sea whale fishery, with much of the effort being to obtain whale oil for Argand lamps. .The development of the ‘Argand’ lamp by the Swiss physicist, Aimee Argand late in the 18th century was the first improvement on lighting since Roman times. A thick low ignition oil was held in the vase shaped reservoir, descending by gravity to a circular burner and wick, with a draft chimney in the centre multiplying the power of a candle by six, the flask shaped shades by another six. Thomas Jefferson and Mathew Boulton, inventors et al, were early promotors of their light. By 1825 they were the height of fashion. Argand lamps from London was advertised in Hobart from 1831. By 1854 gas had been introduced in Hobart, in 1865 with the advent of kerosene oil, their demise was complete.
MAKE AN ENQUIRY